The Madeleine church (108 meters long and 43 meters wide) was inspired by the Maison Carrée in Nîmes, one of the best-preserved of all Roman temples in the world. Its Corinthian columns are carried around the entire building. Inside, the church has a single nave with three domes.
Napoléon decided that a Temple of Glory to his Grande Armée should be built, and Pierre-Alexandre Vignon was thus commissioned to draw up the plans. After razing the remaining efforts from 1790, building started on what was to be a Roman/Greek temple. In 1814, Louis XVIII confirmed that the Madeleine should be a church, and that was finally done in 1842.